BoyGenius report has received some information regarding the next major iPhone OS (4.0). The screenshot that you see above is what was posted on the actual page from BGR, but we’re personally hoping that it isn’t real (interface looks the same).
- There will be multi-touch gestures OS-wide. (Would make sense for that as the rumored OS for the iTablet is close if not the same as the iPhone)
- “A few new ways” to run applications in the background — multitasking.
- Many graphical and UI changes to make navigating through the OS easier and more efficient. We haven’t had this broken down, but we can only hope for improved notifications, a refreshed homescreen, etc.
- The update will supposedly be available for only the iPhone 3G and 3GS, but will “put them ahead in the smartphone market because it will make them more like full-fledged computers” more than any other phone to date. Everyone is “really excited.”
- The last piece of information is the most vague, but apparently there will be some brand new syncing ability for the contacts and calendar applications.
While all that sounds good, we won’t know whether or not any of that information will come true. The number one thing that we personally want to see in iPhone OS 4.0 is a completely new interface. Everything has been the same for nearly 3 years. Give us something different! Jailbreaking is nice, but it shouldn’t have to even be done if the OS itself were more open.